My name is Sharon Brown, and I am an Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner practicing at a family medicine clinic in Anacortes, WA.  I am also the Palliative Nurse Practitioner at Island Hospital.  I initially sought the education for x-waiver buprenorphine to educate myself about the medication and use because my sister was prescribed this medication as a cancer patient and it was not something I'd used previously for pain associated with malignant melanoma.  She subsequently was transitioned to methadone after a really awful detox experience, but that is beside the point.

I quickly realized that offering Suboxone to my patients who are either already being prescribed this  medication, but who have to travel off island to get it, will be a great service to my community; additionally, I have had a couple of patients who needed acute in patient rehab who have weaned themselves off of the medication since discharge because traveling to Everett (where they were initially prescribe the medication) to get the meds is very time consuming and not at all practical; unfortunately, we have been unsuccessful at transitioning them to a closer provider who has the x-waiver.

So, you might say I am on a mission to get our facility on board with providing these services.  I have looked on "the google" and found some standing order sets for both primary medicine induction as well as induction in the ED, and inpatient induction.  These have been helpful and I am enlisting the help of a couple of younger, more progressive physicians to help me with approaching our administration about incorporating the protocols here at our facility.

Wish me luck!

It's very nice to meet you all.

Sincerely,

Sharon Brown MSN ARNP AGPCNP-BC